History of the Horse & Jockey
It is said that once a famous horse trainer lived here once, he placed a sign hanging on a tree over the cross road
saying ‘ Horse and Jockey Inn’ In Irish it is known as An Mharach.
This is how this pleasant village got its name.
Where the village stands today, in 1740 two thatched cabins surrounded by several trees and open field marked the place.
The mail car operated by the British government used to stop to water their horses and after a while one of the cabin developed into a licensed Inn.
Shortly afterwards a new Inn was built on the premises. This Inn was set to give the crossroads village its name.
This road junction village has been part of the progression of a nation from subjection to freedom.
The area has links with the United Irishmen especially Thomas Russell to the foundation of GAA, and it hurling club winning the
All Ireland hurling championship of 1899 together with its victorious handball teams of the past.
This is just part of a legacy of the gracious Inn. Soon after these events, came the changing times.
One hundred years ago, the Horse and Jockey was a picturesque village nestling at foot of the famous hump back bridge.
An industrious little village it was, it boasted of having Michael Caudy, a cobbler and shoemaker Jack Carthy and Tom Barry the blacksmith,
two thrashing mills owned by Dick O’Keefee and the post office owned by Tim Barry.
A railway line from Thurles to Clonmel, which delivered goods daily, serviced this busy village.
It made deliveries to the publican Richard O’Keefe and grocer John O’Keefe. Life was tranquil and unhurried and then and it seemed nothing would change.
Then in the early sixties, road widening commenced and most branch lines such as the Horse and Jockey were about to be closed.
The famous bridge was reckoned to be soon dangerous because large heavy trucks were now transporting goods and frequently got stuck on the bridge.
Horse & Jockey station was part of the 25 mile branch to Clonmel from Thurles, originally built by the “Southern Railway of Ireland”.
The company opened the branch on the 1st July 1880, but poor working results led to it’s transfer to the GS&WR by 1901.
The branch saw no major changes until the loss of passenger services in September 1963 and the eventual closure on the 27th March 1967 by CIE.
The station is now a private house.
The Horse and Jockey Inn which is now our beloved Horse & and Jockey Hotel has grown from strength to strength.
Tradition, Passion and Warmth is what the family run hotel has thrived on for over 250 years and will continue to do so for the next generations.